Startling Skin Stats: 8 Things You Didnt Know about Your Skin
Posted September 12, 2012 in Fitness & Nutrition
While chemical peels and BOTOX® Cosmetic can go a long way to setting back the clock on your aging skin, sometimes the best way to get softer, younger-looking skin is to educate yourself. Face the facts with these 8 little-known factoids about skin and skincare.
1. 50 – 80 percent of the skin damage that causes wrinkles, skin pigmentation, sun spots and even cancer occurs before a person reaches the age of 18.
2. 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer at some point in their lifetime. Scarier still, skin cancer is the 2nd most common cancer in women between the ages of 20 and 29.
3. Washing your face at night isn’t enough to prevent clogged pores. Because your skin cleanses itself while you sleep (toxins you ingested the day before are expelled through the skin), in addition to washing before bed, you should always wash your face upon waking as well. This will rid your face of any metabolic product buildup.
4. Exercising can make your skin look younger. Regular exercise promotes toxin removal and increases collagen production, which helps eliminate wrinkles.
5. Eating foods that contain olive oil and minimizing your dairy and sugar intake can help slow your skin’s aging process.
6. Adult acne is often caused by dehydration. Not drinking enough water means that toxins in the body aren’t flushed out in your urine and are pushed out of the skin instead, resulting in a breakout.
7. According to the Huffington Post, The average Canadian woman spends 16 minutes a day cleansing and moisturizing her skin, which equals out to four days a year. For men, that number is about half, at 2.7 days per year.
8. The dark patches that sometimes form on people’s skin are commonly referred to as “age spots” are actually “sun spots” (or hyperpigmentation) and are caused by a reduction in the body’s production of melanin. They result as a side effect of long-term sun damage. Rejuvalife is currently offering a special on chemical peels. Click here for a full list of our special offers and discounted procedures.Photo by Faye Valentina. For more skincare tips or for help with stem cell therapy in los angeles, give Dr. Berger a call at 310.856.9173.