Boost Your Metabolism with Avocado
Avocado can aid in weight-loss if eaten in moderate amounts. While it is higher in calories—about 48 calories per ounce, avocados help fight obesity because they boost satiety. Satiety is the feeling of fullness that signals us to stop eating and thus helps us control our calorie intake. You will also be delighted to hear that research suggests that exercise burns monounsaturated fat more rapidly than saturated fat. Meaning that even though an avocado is high in monounsaturated fat, this fat will be burned more quickly than saturated fat found in meat.
Avocado is also a rich source of L-carnitine, which can boost your fat burning metabolism. L-carnitine is an amino acid found in your body in the liver. It helps to facilitate fat metabolism, and promotes fat loss. Additionally, it is known to increase energy production in muscle cells and increases blood circulation in the brain.
Cool and velvety smooth, cold avocado soup is the perfect way to start a refreshing summer dinner.
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 shallot , chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh mint
- 1 sprig(s) fresh mint
- 4 teaspoon(s) fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 radish, chopped
- Place the cucumber, avocado, shallot, yogurt, 2 tablespoons mint, lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, and 1 cup cold water in a blender, and process until smooth.
- Chill for at least 1 hour. Serve garnished with the radish and remaining mint leaves.
From Country Living
How to pick the perfect Avocado
A ripe, ready-to-eat avocado is slightly soft but should have no dark sunken spots or cracks. If the avocado has a slight neck, rather than being rounded on top, it was probably tree ripened and will have better flavor. A firmer, less mature fruit can be ripened at home and will be less likely to have bruises.
Visit our website for more information on Nutrition and Fitness. Summer is around the corner, and we would love to help boost your confidence in a bikini!